Monday, November 5, 2012

Protozoa


Objectives: To make careful observations of protozoa moving and to practice using a microscope.

Predictions:

If I look through a microscope at some pond water I think I will see lit up green pond water with bits of green and gray speckling it. I also think the gray bits will be protozoans that will move in random directions.

Observations:

It took a long time to find some protozoa. Mom, Sarah, and I tried taking a sample of water from the pond in our backyard, but we couldn’t see any protozoa. The same thing happened with a sample of fish-tank water and also with a sample of rain water soaked in leaves. Finally, Dad, Sarah and I scoured the pond for a water sample that had protozoa in it. We finally found it by our cat tail reeds. Here is what they looked like:

The top protozoa is a Euglena because it has a tail and it swims. The second one is a Amoeba because it changes shape to move. The third one is a Paramecium because it is covered in small hairs that move when it moves.

Results:

Compared to my initial predictions, the water was a different color. Instead of lime green, the water was clear.

The first thing I noticed about the water sample was that there were fast moving black dots running across the view screen.

Compared to my predictions, I saw a lot more life than I expected. The most surprising thing I saw was protozoa that looked like it was splitting in two, but was not.

I found at least ten protozoa, but only about four kinds of them.

I found several different methods of moving that were common among the protozoa. Some of the protozoa changed shape to move, some were covered in little hairs, and some didn't seem to have any way of moving, but still zipped around like little bees.

My favorite protozoa was a see-through green color and seemed to be in the process of splitting in two. I liked that it spun in circles like a fan, and appeared to be eating a black string of plant.

Conclusion:

Protozoa are one celled organisms, but that does not stop them from moving in all directions. Protozoa swim, crawl, or change shape to move in what appears to be an intricate ballet.



No comments:

Post a Comment