Friday, April 22, 2011

Pickerel Lake

Walking down the path to the beach where fish and turtles play, I often wonder where the deer paths in the bushes lead. I also always wonder if the water is going to be warm or not. I have always loved playing in the water, and I will hate the day when I can no longer. The water is calm, clear, and lukewarm today. I swim for awhile, admiring the tall waving water grass and trying to catch some fish. One of my parents kicks me out to the deepest part of the lake, where trees and bushes grow in underwater forests and the remnants of a dock lay. Looking around, I can see large trees lining the pond, and the smells around me make my nose want to dance. On the way back, I flip over to watch the clouds. What will I see? An elephant? A ferocious cat? When we get to shore, we eat sandwiches on the beach, then leave. It is a wonderful place.

(Editor's Note:  This essay is in reference to the writings of John Muir, in honor of Earth Day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment