Friday, February 11, 2011

Crayfish

Crayfish are small and have an interesting way of life. They look like tiny lobsters but live in fresh water. They come in many colors, are 4-6 inches long on average, and have an exoskeleton. 

They eat plankton, brine shrimp, plants, and fish. Like humans, crayfish have favorite foods that may be in your garden or local store like green beans, raisins, spinach, zucchini, carrots, squash, sweet potato, and leaf lettuce.

Crayfish are mostly nocturnal, but will move around during the day. In my tank my crayfish feeds during the night, because every morning there's something missing from my tank.

I see crayfish near my house at Gallup Park and the Botanical Gardens, but they also live around the world in clean, freshwater rivers. If you would like to see a crayfish, I would suggest going to Louisiana where the Mississippi River delta is and the people there eat lots of crayfish. 

A number of animals eat crayfish like humans, otters, and herons. One way humans eat crayfish is by boiling them and sucking the heads while pinching the tails.

 There are many reasons why you might want a crayfish in your fish tank. I wanted a crayfish in my tank because they dig holes and valleys and eat things (plants, snails) allowing me to count death tolls each morning which is fun. Me and my crayfish are excellent friends. We build things together and laugh about how silly our creations look.

Note: This is a cat with a crayfish. Not a catfish!


7 comments:

  1. That's cute and informative. I'm not just saying that because I'm your dad, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always surprised when I come across a crayfish - they do seem like baby lobsters and I don't expect them outside of the ocean.

    I've seen many people eating crayfish in New Orleans, but I've always been too squeamish to do it myself.

    I love the Lego crayfish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written, Aaron! I don't like to eat crayfish, but your Dad ate lots when he was your age. There is a place in Detroit called Fishbones. They serve crayfish for dinner. In fact, sometimes they escape from the kitchen and you can see them crawling around the dinner tables!

    I also really love your crayfish replica.

    Love, Aunt Moosh

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great crayfish lesson and story, Aaron. Your Grandpa Don and I went to a crayfish boil in Sugar Land, Texas, last year. These people had a huge table lined with newspaper in their driveway and they boiled crayfish, sweetcorn and potatoes in a big pot, drained it, then dumped it on the table for everyone to eat. It was quite fun. Grandpa says crayfish and crawfish are the same thing. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Aaron. I had crayfish in a restaurant on the Mississippi Gulf Coast once(where they called them "mud bugs"). There was a hole in the middle of the table with a trash can below. You just tossed the shells in the hole as you ate. I couldn't bring myself to suck the heads, though.
    -Jim Nicolow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only did I like the Lego crayfish but I learned some things about crayfish I didn't know.
    Having fun and learning stuff is a great combination. Your description of crayfish was well thought out. Well done.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Aaron,
    My name is Eli. I have a joke for you. I am four years old. Why did the chicken cross the road?
    Because he wanted to get his suitcase. Talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete