Wednesday, May 2, 2012


This is my eleventh science project. It is about mixtures.

Objective: Observe mixtures to see if similar liquids mix together or if dissimilar liquids do not mix together.
Predictions:
I think that if you add water to milk they will mix.
I think that if you add milk to juice they will not mix.
I think that if you add juice to oil they will not mix.
I think that if you add oil to water they will not mix.
I think that if you add oil to melted butter they will mix.
I think that if you add soap to water and then add it to oil they will mix.
Procedure: 
Mix the substances on the table together to observe wether or not they mix. Mixing is when no droplets are visible.
Data:




Results:
When I added milk to juice they did not mix. This is what I expected.
When I added water to juice they mixed. This is what I expected.
When I added water to oil they did not mix. This is what I expected.
When I added soap to my mixtures of water, juice, and soap, they did not mix better because they were already fully mixed.
When I added soap to my mixtures of water and oil, they mixed better because the layers were less definite and the droplets were more evenly spaced.
When I added soap to my mixtures of oil and butter, they did not mix better because they were already fully mixed.
Conclusion:
Liquids of the same types mix and liquids of different types do not mix. The water, milk, and juice all mixed together because they were all water based. These liquids do not mix with fat based liquids which were the oil and butter. The soap mixed with all the liquids because it was both water and fat based.

No comments:

Post a Comment