Tuesday, May 8, 2012


This is my thirteenth science project. It is about tastes.

Objective: To taste different flavors and foods and to figure out what types of molecules create those flavors.

Predictions:
I think that marshmallows will taste sweet.
I think that crackers will taste salty.
I think that ripe bananas will taste neither sweet or salty.
I think that green bananas will taste neither sweet or salty.
I think that raw potatoes will taste neither sweet or salty.
I think that cooked potatoes will taste neither sweet or salty.
Observations:
How things tasted:

Results:
I found three sweet foods. I found one salty food. I found one truly neither tasting food. 
The green banana was not quite green and so it tasted a little sweet.
Two results surprised me. They were the ripe banana and the cooked potatoes. I guessed that they were neither sweet or salty and they were both sweet. 
Four out of six guesses were correct and two out of six guesses were wrong.
Conclusion:
The marshmallows, the ripe bananas, and the cooked potatoes tasted sweet because of the sugar molecules.
The crackers tasted salty because of the salt molecules.
The green bananas and the raw potatoes tasted neither sweet or salty because of the long carbohydrate molecules. When the long carbohydrate molecules are broken down by ripening or cooking, the food tastes sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment