Friday, May 25, 2012


This is my sixteenth science project. It is about the night sky. 


Objective: To observe the stars in the night sky.
Observations:
The night sky.

The largest star.

The brightest star.

Twinkling star.

Different colored stars.

Think about it:
The largest star had light spread diffusely in a large area, so it seemed bigger. The brightest star had the same amount of light in it, but it was very focused in one spot. 
Some of the stars could have been planets because planets could reflect light from the sun back at the Earth, making it seem like the planets are stars. 
I don’t think the brightest star is the closest star because it was smaller than the other red stars. This leads me to believe that it was father away than the other red stars.
Results:
I could find so many stars that I couldn’t draw them all.
The brightest star was in a group of three other stars and had a reddish tint. It was off to my right when I was looking up.
I don’t think the brightest star was the largest star.
Some of the stars were twinkling.
I think the stars twinkled because particles in the atmosphere bounced the light around and distorted it so we saw the stars twinkle.
Conclusion:
Looking up at the night sky late at night (Yawn... Zzzz) was an interesting experience. There seemed to be hundreds of stars in the sky, which was tinged with the light of the houses around us. We had no telescopes, just our naked eye (plus some glasses). We saw a bat or two fly overhead, a satellite, and two or three planes. We managed to see the Big Dipper asterism, which is in the Ursa Major constellation. The stars had multiple colors, red, blue, and yellow mostly. Each type of star had its own color and size. The stars had many sizes and shades and it was fun to observe them and see how many different colors we could spot. It was hard to stop moving to focus on the stars, and I kept turning to get a better view. 

We had a great time and I hope to find a better place to look at the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment